Monday, February 20, 2012

Inquiry-based learning


Have you used inquiry-based learning as a teacher or as a student?
I feel as if I have used inquiry-based learning when I was a student, teacher, coach and an athlete. My example of an inquire-based learning is to how to teach someone to be a pitcher. Just giving instructions on how to throw from the various positions (wind-up and stretch), and telling them about the different pitches and throwing them into a game without prior demonstration, one cannot expect much. But by a combination of instructions, demonstration and constant practice one can achieve what is expected from prior success stories. I think that the quote "tell me and I forget, show me and I remember, involve me and I understand,” can be placed well in all types of learning.  Because, a child can be given the best instructions into to learning how to pitch, and even watch countless hours of videos, but without the ability to practice what they have learned it is pointless.
What place would inquiry-based learning and/or historical thinking have in your classroom?
I feel that in my classroom, I would want to allow the students to be more hands on in there learning. Leaning more towards a more inquiry-based learning. Because, I feel that the best way for someone to learn is by asking questions as one attempts a particular task. I realize that the traditional approach to learning is focused on mastery of content, with less emphasis on the development of skills and the nurturing of inquiring attitudes before one gets a chance to actually attempt the task.  When I was in elementary, some years ago, I found myself always in a traditional approach to learning. I’m not saying it didn’t work the way it intended to, but it just took me longer to fully grasp the content I had “mastered”.

2 comments:

  1. Yes - giving a player the opportunity to think about their own performance and allowing them the room to ask the questions and investigate how to improve gives them the opportunity to develop those "habits of mind."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also feel that historical based learning is an integral part in the learning process. Because, learning about the outcomes of others can help us in our future decisions. For example, Pompeii, has taught me not to live near a volcano and to value life. Because it can be gone before you know it, just ask the Dinosaurs.

    ReplyDelete